Start your Northland adventure with us
A good base to explore the beautiful and scenic Whangarei Heads and Harbour area. Make day trips to the Bay of Islands, the West Coast and Matakohe Kauri Museum and Waipoua Forest all within 90 minutes drive…
- 2-3 hours drive North of Auckland International Airport
- 1 .5 hour drive to the Bay of Islands
- 14km east of Whangarei City
- 10 minute drive from Onerahi Airport
Journey through a grand landscape where giants surround you. Giants of geology, nature and history are gathered here, like the majestic creatures that inspired Ngati Wai to name this place Whangarei-tererenga- paraoa (the gathering place of whales).
Take the meandering road from Northland’s largest city, all the way to the coast and the boundless Pacific Ocean beyond. Follow the great mass of water that ebbs and flows through the towering Whangarei Heads. Walk in the footsteps of those who carved history out of this colossal landscape, and create lasting memories of your own as you journey Where Giants Gather.
Beautiful Beaches 20 minutes away
- Ocean Beach and Kauri Mountain offer good surfing
- Pataua North has an ocean beach and a sheltered river estuary
- Taiharuru McGregors Bay is a natural ocean beach cove
Walks suitable for all levels of fitness
- Climb Mount Manaia. A one hour climb through beautiful native bush. Fairly steep but well worth spectacular views over the whole of Whangarei Harbour and beyond. This track has just been completely renewed.
- Stroll for 20 minutes from Reotahi along the shoreline to the ruins of the 1911 freezing works near the harbour entrance
- Walk from Urquarhts Bay over to Smugglers Cove with white sand and delicious swimming
Activities, things to do
- Whangarei City and Quayside Town Basin. Restaurants, cafes and shopping, Art Gallery and Crafts. Claphams Clock Museum the largest collection of clocks in the Southern Hemisphere. Glass Studio and Gallery. Visit the new hub and Art Gallery.
- Farmers market every Saturday morning for great bargains
- Whangarei Museum and Kiwi house. Clarke Homestead
- Tavern, Restaurants and Cafe’s. 5 minutes drive
- Art and Craft galleries in Whangarei Heads.
- The Pines Golf course, 3 minutes drive. Three more golf courses within 30 mins drive, Sherwood Park, Northland Golf Club and Mt.Denby..
- Visit Whangarei Falls and walk. – AH Reed memorial Kauri Park, half hour walk with high boardwalk through bush and Kauri trees. Hatea river walk.
To West Coast – Dargaville and the Kaipara – an area full of history of the early pioneers and settlers.
Dargaville Nautical Museum. Well worth a visit. The Rainbow Warrior masts are here.
Matakohe Kauri Museum – something for all the family – with the total history of the Kauri tree and the pioneers who harvested it.
Waipoua Forest, Trounson Park. The BIG Kauri tree – Tane Mahuta
Bay of Islands – visit the Waitangi Treaty house and grounds – Boat trips to see the Bay of Islands, out to the hole in the rock and swim with dolphins.
Use these links for information.
- Kauri Museum
- Dolphin cruises and more – Fullers Great Sights Bay of Islands
- Perfect Day A relaxing ocean day cruise in the Bay of Islands
- Dive Tutukaka Tutukaka is one hours drive for Diving on the Poor Knights Islands
- Skydive with Ballistic Blondes We are only a short drive from Onerahi Airport
- Sea Kayaking Based in Onerahi 7kms from us
- Whangarei Heads Tourism
- Adventure Forest good for adults and children from 3 years old well recommended
- The Lionman Kingdom of Zion visit the lion park 45 minutes from us (Sorry closed at present)
- Ocean Diversity Sea Adventures Ltd Dive Charters to Hen & Chicks, Mokohinau Islands & Poor Knights – Operates from Reotahi, Whangarei Heads – 6 people